Monday, October 20, 2008

Family Ties


A PROCLAMATION TO THE WORLD

WE THE FIRST PRESIDENCY and the Council of the Twelve Apostles of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, solemnly proclaim that marriage between a man and a woman is ordained of God and that the family is central to the Creator's plan for the eternal destiny of His children.

...
THE FIRST COMMANDMENT that God gave to Adam and Eve pertained to their potential for parenthood as husband and wife. We declare that God's commandment for His children to multiply and replenish the earth remains in force. We further declare that God has commanded that the sacred powers of procreation are to be employed only between man and woman, lawfully wedded as husband and wife.

WE DECLARE the means by which mortal life is created to be divinely appointed. We affirm the sanctity of life and of its importance in God's eternal plan.

...
HUSBAND AND WIFE have a solemn responsibility to love and care for each other and for their children. "Children are an heritage of the Lord" (Psalms 127:3). Parents have a sacred duty to rear their children in love and righteousness, to provide for their physical and spiritual needs, to teach them to love and serve one another, to observe the commandments of God and to be law-abiding citizens where ever they live. Husbands and wifes-mothers and fathers-will be held accountable before God and for the discharge of these obligations.

About eight and a half years ago I became a member of the "Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints." I gained a testimony of the church and of my Lord and Savior Jesus Christ and his love for me, the above lines are from The Family a Proclamation to the World. They are things I held a belief on even before I saw them in writing. I know one day I will be accountable for how I raised my children when they were young. I love everyone in my family, extended family too.I know we do not all have the same beliefs about this issue, I do not want to alienate anyone in my family and I respect their beliefs. But I would also hope that they would allow me the same, that is to believe and fight for what I see as right. I don't see this as a equal rights amendment, I see it as something that I need to do for my family. I see what is happening and parents have less rights when it comes to the rearing of their children, what they are taught in schools, and religious freedoms are on the attack (which goes against everything our forefathers fought for during the revolutionary war). Thanks for listening to my ramblings!

1 comment:

Rayna said...

I really like the way you put that!